This Sausage and Potato Summer Vegetable Skillet is similar to something I have made several times over the years, but that dish was solely veggies. For this skillet dinner, I added sliced Zweigle’s Italian Style chicken sausage in order to make it a complete meal. It tastes like summer and is made all in one skillet. Since it’s healthy, it leaves me room to consume lots of empty dessert calories afterward. That, my friends, is a win in my book.
This Sausage and Potato Summer Vegetable Skillet is very customizable so feel free to modify it according to your favorites. For a twist, add quarters of fresh tomatoes and serve with crumbled feta on top. It’s a great way to use up any leftover veggies you have sitting around. You can even add a fried egg on top! I’m thinking I may add some sliced apples next time I make this.
You can get great recipe ideas and purchase Zweigle’s products at your local grocery store or online by heading on over to Zweigles.com!
- 1 lb baby red potatoes, quartered
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 12 oz Italian chicken sausage, sliced 1-inch thick (I used Zweigle's brand)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 cup zucchini, ½ inch thick and quartered
- 1 cup summer squash, ½ inch thick and quartered
- Place olive oil and potatoes in a large, deep skillet with a lid on high heat; season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- When the skillet gets hot and starts to sizzle, reduce heat to low, leave the cover on, and cook for about 20-25 minutes. Be sure to shake the pan occasionally to prevent the potatoes from burning to the bottom - especially if not using a non-stick skillet.
- Remove from heat and set potatoes aside on a plate, covered with foil.
- Add the sliced sausage to the skillet and saute on medium-low for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, just to give them a nice brown color on each side since the sausage already comes fully cooked. This gives the sausage a richer flavor.
- Season chopped/sliced vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Add onions, peppers, garlic and thyme to the skillet and stir. Continue cooking stirring occasionally until onions and peppers become slightly browned. Add zucchini and summer squash and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until all veggies are cooked through but not mushy.
- Return the potatoes back to the skillet and mix until all ingredients are evenly combined. Add more salt and pepper if necessary; cover and cook 5 more minutes. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Thank you Zweigles for sponsoring this conversation. All opinions remain 100% my own, as always.
Recipe source: adapted from skinnytaste.com- Craving more? Sign up for the Wishes & Dishes Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook , Twitter , Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates!