Marinated Mozzarella Tomato Basil Salad
This easy, flavorful Italian Marinated Mozzarella Tomato Basil Salad recipe tastes so fresh and is a winning side dish to go with your next meal. This salad fits the bill for anytime of the year or to bring to a picnic!
How was your Labor Day weekend? We celebrated four birthdays just on Sunday: what would have been my dad’s 68th birthday, Mr. Wishes’ aunt Diane, my grandpa, and my good friend of 20 years, Megan. So fun!
Everyone else in the food blogging world is all “pumpkin this and pumpkin that”. I’m over here like, “Look, I made you another fresh, summery salad!” Most of us still have some summer-like temperatures in the forecast and we need to keep eating summer foods while we still can. That is my attitude, anyway. I’m just not even close to being ready for fall or fall food. I know, I know….you think I’m looney tunes. The weather has been perfect here lately so it will make it that much harder to let go of! For example: it’s 11 p.m. here right now and it’s 77 degrees. Perfect!
I love how colorful this Marinated Mozzarella Tomato Basil Salad is. In all honesty, it’s not just a summer salad. I will be eating this well into the winter months. Anything similar to a Caprese salad is totally acceptable anytime of the year and even throughout the holidays. Wouldn’t the red and green look so pretty on a Christmas dinner table? Did I just take it too far by mentioning Christmas already? #sorrynotsorry
The cherry-sized mozzarella balls (also called “ciliegine”) are marinated in extra virgin olive oil, fresh basil, fresh parsley, salt and pepper. They are then tossed with sweet cherry tomatoes and sweet balsamic vinegar. You can also use all basil if you prefer! I had fresh parsley I needed to use up so I just threw that in there and was very happy with the taste. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ cup freshly chopped basil
- ⅛ cup freshly chopped parsley (or use all basil)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese (cherry-size mozzarella balls)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes (about 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Combine the oil, garlic, parsley and basil in a bowl.
- Add the mozzarella and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and let marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Add tomatoes (cut in half or not) and vinegars to the mozzarella and toss to combine.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper if desired, and serve immediately.
Recipe source: adapted from seriouseats.com