grilled or sauteed shrimp (but not in my case because Mr. Wishes loathes seafood)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, to taste
- Sweat the onion, celery and carrot in butter.
- Add the rice and stir it to coat with the butter.
- Add the hot stock, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the liquid to a boil. Boil the rice for about 5 minutes then cover with a lid or foil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the rice until it is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, about 12-15 minutes. Be careful not to burn the rice!
- Use a kitchen fork to separate the grains of rice to release the steam and serve.