Homemade Hamburger Helper
Hamburger helper recipe made from scratch will be a huge crowd-pleaser for the whole family. I make this more often than any other meal at my house.
This is the easiest and by far one of my FAVORITE dinners I’ve made so far this entire year. Maybe I have the taste buds of a kid, but I promise there’s no way you won’t like this, children and adults alike 🙂 It came out fantastically delicious.
Quick (ready in about 20 minutes!), easy, and tastes a million times better that the box stuff. What more could you ask for? Homemade versions of hamburger helper are so much better than the boxed version. And really they do not take any longer to make.
I’m so glad you’re here! Follow along on Pinterest for more inspiration!
The real beauty of this meal is that it is also quite inexpensive to make – it uses mostly ingredients that you probably already have on hand, with maybe the exception of the hamburger to “help” bring the meal together . Also, it’s made in ONE skillet! You know what that means – clean up is quick and painless! Obviously you can see that I can’t say enough good things about this meal. Just go ahead and make it already…
A similar recipe on my site that you might also love is this Sloppy Joe Macaroni & Cheese. It’s also made all in one skillet and super quick to make! We also love this Cheesy Chicken Sausage Pasta Skillet which is the same idea! That’s another favorite in my family. You can see all of my skillet pasta dinner recipes that take less than a half hour to make.
By the way, I think it tasted even better (if that were possible) as a leftover the next day! Enjoy your week!
Check out my step-by-step video on how to make this Homemade Hamburger Helper!
- 1 lb ground beef
- cooking spray
- 2½ cups milk
- 1½ cups hot water
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large skilletover medium-high heat.
- Spray with cooking spray and add the ground beef. Brown until cooked through and no longer pink. Discard any fat.
- Add the pasta, milk, water and spices and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and turn the heat down to simmer.
- Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente.
- Add the cheese and stir to combine. Serve immediately!
Recipe source: adapted from farmgirlgourmet.com