Crock Pot Chicken Taco Soup
This ulta-flavorful crock pot taco soup is quick and easy to prepare, has great flavor, and is well worth the wait. It’s great on a cold night – especially as a post Trick-or-Treating meal!
Happy Halloween!!! What are your plans for tonight? I’m doing my usual of staying home and handing out candy to the cute little trick-or-treaters. It’s so fun seeing all the creative costumes! Mr. Wishes will be helping out at his family’s business as he does every Halloween. His parents own a pizzeria and this is their second busiest night of the year besides Super Bowl Sunday! Before meeting him I never realized this and how popular pizza ordering is on Halloween. It makes sense, though, with parents not wanting to take the time to cook and clean up a whole dinner and are in a rush to get their kids out candy-collecting. OK, now onto the soup of the day!
Well, if you’re NOT doing the pizza “thang”, I wanted to provide you with a soup alternative that is hardly any more work than picking up the phone and ordering a pizza. You just throw it all in the crock pot and let it cook away and this taco soup can be ready for you before or after trick-or-treating. And if you happen to live somewhere that is super cold this time of year, like I’m lucky enough to, this will be a good warm-you-up meal to come home to!
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 (16 oz.) can chili beans, undrained
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 (10 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 (1.25 oz.) package taco seasoning
- 3 whole skinless, boneless, chicken breasts
- Stir onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce, dice tomatoes, and taco sauce into a slow cooker. *I saute the onion in a skillet beforehand to make sure that they are not crunchy.
- Lay the chicken breast on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly so that it gets covered by other ingredients.
- Set slow cooker to low heat, cover, and cook for 3-4 hours on low if your chicken is thawed. May take 4-5 hours on low if your chicken is frozen.
- Remove chicken breasts from the soup and shred.
- Stir shredded chicken back into the soup. You are technically supposed to cook it on low for another 2 hours in the crock pot but you really don't have to. I never do. It's very forgiving. You can leave it in longer if you want too.
- Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and/or crushed tortilla chips.