Banana Bread French Toast
Banana Bread French Toast recipe is a great breakfast for preparing ahead and it’s loaded with banana flavor! No need to wait for the weekend to enjoy French toast when you can cook up this irresistible banana breakfast in no time at all.
This Banana Bread French Toast was inspired by a dish I’ve ordered at a diner here in Rochester about 4293958 times. Jines on Park Avenue is the only restaurant I have ever seen serve anything like this and it’s seriously amazing. They are known for this French toast for a reason. I had to recreate it at home, obviously.
A quick search for French toast recipes around Wishes and Dishes may give some indication as to my obsession with this beloved breakfast classic. How can you not love it?! I even have a post of How To Make French Toast. Seriously, I love it all. I think my favorite and most popular would have to be my Blueberry French Toast Casserole.
Mr. Wishes loves ALL breakfast food, but I’m partial to the sweet stuff. I think I’ve finally figured out why he loves breakfast so much after trying this Banana Bread French Toast. It’s seriously one of the only meals where it’s truly acceptable to eat only dessert. Pancakes, French toast, sprinkled donuts… it’s all acceptable breakfast food! Winning.
If there is a chance you might have some banana bread left after baking, this is totally what you should do with it. Even if you do not, you should bake some up specifically for this recipe. Personally, I baked the banana bread simply for the purpose of turning it into this amazing French toast. Any any other reason and that entire thing would be devoured in about .2 seconds.
This banana bread French toast has so much flavor that you can head straight for the maple syrup, or add just a touch of glamour with a caramelized banana topping. Caramelized bananas are life. My family loves this either way!
I even came up with the idea to eat the slices of Banana Bread French Toast sprinkled with lemon juice and confectioners’/powdered sugar. It may seem odd, but it is seriously so tasty this way!
This is perfect for all of the banana lovers in your life. I was definitely asked for the recipe, so I’m finally sharing it! I’m going to give thanks to bananas for the rest of my life.
Here are some other French Toast Recipes on my site you should try:
Banana & Nutella Stuffed French Toast
Crock Pot Cinnamon Bun French Toast
Mini French Toast Sausage Roll-Ups
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8½-inch thick slices banana bread
- 2 large ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and place in the
- oven to warm.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream and vanilla in an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- While butter is melting, dip 4 slices of banana bread in the egg mixture (don't soak them); let the extra liquid drip back in the dish.
- Add the dipped banana bread to the skillet and sprinkle each slice with 1 tablespoon brown sugar and press it in. Cook until the underside is golden brown, approx. 2 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown on the second side, approx. 2 minutes.
- Put on the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm and repeat with the remaining bread, batter, adding 1 tablespoon more butter to the skillet and sprinkling the slices with 1 more tablespoon brown sugar.
- Keep the second batch of French toast warm in the oven.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter (wipe skillet clean with paper towel if needed). Once the butter is melted, add the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and the lemon juice and mix.
- Add the bananas and toss until glazed, about 1 minute.
- Serve the French toast topped with the bananas and chopped walnuts, if desired.