This hearty beef taco salad recipe will be sure to impress! It’s a great, light summer picnic idea or quick and easy weeknight dinner.
I hope everyone is having a good July so far and staying cool. This hot weather calls for some lighter and yummy dinners!
Every now and then I get a craving for tacos, but I wanted something different than just plain old tacos this time. I decided on taco salad. I must admit, I am not a huge salad fan by any means. If I do eat a salad it had better have some meat and cheese in it, or I’ll take a big pass on it.
This hearty beef taco salad is so easy to make for a quick weeknight meal when you are short on time and it tastes delicious! Mr. Wishes and I really liked this version and I got a little creative with it and put my own twist on a recipe that I had come across. It is definitely hearty enough to stand as a meal on it’s own, but you can also serve it as a side dish. I love the sweet and tangy flavor of the Catalina dressing combined with the salty, crunchy chips.
This salad is perfect for a party or summer picnic! It would also be great to take to work and share at a potluck. I bet it would also be great with some black olives and diced avocado! The possibilities are endless 🙂
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ½ pound sharp Cheddar, diced or shredded
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, washed, drained and shredded
- 1 can of black or pinto beans, drained
- 1 cup of corn
- 1 pound lean ground beef, browned, crumbled and drained
- package of taco seasoning
- ¾ cup Catalina salad dressing (I used fat free)
- 1 (7-ounce) bag tortilla chips (Fritos would also be great), crushed
- Tortilla chips, to serve
- Brown the ground beef, then drain.
- Mix in the taco seasoning and the amount of water that is called for on the package.
- Simmer this mixture until you have cooked off almost all of the liquid (you can chop the veggies in the meantime).
- Combine the tomatoes, cheese, onion, lettuce, beans, corn, and ground beef in a large bowl.
- Add the salad dressing and mix well.
- Just before serving, add the tortilla chips, tossing to combine with other ingredients.
- Top each serving with salsa or sour cream, if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Recipe source: adapted from thefoodnetwork.com- Craving more? Sign up for the Wishes & Dishes Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook , Twitter , Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates!