Cinnamon Sugar Mini Pumpkin Donut Muffins
Mini pumpkin donut muffins are baked and then coated in a cinnamon-sugar mixture – tastes just like a doughnut!
So, I set out to make homemade baked donuts and ended up with cinnamon sugar mini pumpkin donut MUFFINS. It’s a long story, but it turns out you can’t make donut holes in a mini muffin pan because they just don’t hold their circular shape. What a “DUH!” moment that was. Hey, you live and you learn! I guess next time if I really want donuts I’ll have to fry them, which I was trying to avoid (I have a deep-frying phobia). I was, however, ecstatic that I was at least able to salvage them by turning them into these mini “donut” muffins and not a single crumb had to go to waste. Then I really couldn’t decide if they were more like a donut hole or a mini muffin, so I’m calling them donut muffins. I hope I didn’t confuse you too much…
These mini muffins that taste like cinnamon sugar donuts look delicious enough to fulfill my childhood love for all things dangerous and fried, but are done in a much healthier form. You really can’t beat that. Happy Monday and happy donut muffin baking!
- 1¾ Cup all purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- ½ Teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ⅓ Cup canola oil
- ½ Cup light brown sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ Cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ Cup milk (I used skim)
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin puree and milk until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Spray a 24 cup mini muffin tin with non-stick spray and scoop 1 oz. of batter into each cup. I used a 1 oz. scoop for even distribution. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 12 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- While the donuts are baking, prepare one bowl with the melted butter and an additional bowl with the sugar and cinnamon combination. Remove the donuts from the oven and allow to cool just enough to handle. Dip the TOP of each donut quickly into the melted butter (so as not to let it get too soggy) and then roll the TOP also in the cinnamon sugar to coat. Enjoy!