Chocolate Cupcakes and Hot Chocolate Buttercream
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes recipe: rich, chocolate cupcakes and hot chocolate buttercream frosting topped with fluffy mini marshmallows that are perfect for Christmas or a cold winter day! You’ll love these decadent cupcakes that taste just like a warm cup of hot cocoa.
Merry Christmas, lovely readers! I am honored to be doing a guest post for a wonderful blog friend, Joan of Chocolate, Chocolate and More, who sadly passed away at the end of October. She was a great person and a faithful, loyal, generous friend to all – even those of us who just knew her through online correspondence. All of her blog friends who were touched by her life in some way have banded together to keep Joan’s blog alive and well for her and the sweet family she left behind! Nobody loved chocolate more than Joan and I am giving you a double dose of it today in her memory. I think she would be very pleased with my dessert choice today.
Support Joan’s blog and jump on over to Chocolate, Chocolate, and More for the full recipe for these amazing Chocolate Cupcakes and Hot Chocolate Buttercream! You don’t want to miss this one.
Happy Holidays, everyone! See ya on the other side of Christmas 🙂
Here are a few more yummy cupcakes for your dessert tables, fitting for any time of the year:
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix (15.5 ounce size) or use your favorite homemade recipe
- ingredients called for on box to make cupcakes plus 1 extra egg AND substitute the water with an equal amount of milk
- 1½ sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup powdered hot chocolate mix
- Prepare cupcakes and bake according to box directions (with the extra egg and milk instead of water). You don't have to use my changes, but I think they have better texture that way.
- Set aside to cool while you prepare frosting.
- Using a mixer, cream together butter, cocoa powder and salt. Scrape down sides of bowel with a spatula as needed.
- With the mixer on low speed, mix in powdered sugar and gradually add the milk and vanilla extract.
- As the sugar begins to mix in, raise the speed of the mixer to medium/high speed to beat the frosting until smooth.
- In a small separate bowl, stir together heavy cream and hot chocolate mix.
- With mixer on medium speed, pour heavy cream mixture into frosting in a slow, steady stream, until you’ve reached your desired consistency for the frosting. I did not quite need the full amount of the heavy cream/hot chocolate mixture.
- Pipe the frosting onto completely cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with mini marshmallows and mini candy canes. You can get creative with the decorating according to your liking!
Recipe source: frosting recipe adapted from joythebaker.com