Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars without a mixer or chilling dough are a staple in my kitchen and once you make them, everyone asks for the recipe. They are a delicious, easy dessert recipe!
Oh hi! It’s just me, back again, with another chocolate chip cookie recipe because I’m obsessed. These chocolate chip cookie bars are my dream dessert, much like my all-time favorite Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies.
A chocolate chip cookie in the form of bars or in a skillet (Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie) so that you can make them even faster when you’re craving cookies. It can be a very dangerous, but glorious thing! And then there’s the whole EASY factor because we don’t have spend time chilling the cookie dough and we don’t need to roll out dough into individual cookies.
I have spring fever. Anyone else have spring fever right now? I can’t stop looking at spring clothes and decorations and everything bright and cheery when I am online shopping (sorry, hubby).
This winter hasn’t been bad at all – like not at ALL. I really can’t complain. I’m hoping that means spring will feel like it comes very quickly. We didn’t get away again this winter again, but I really don’t even feel the usual cabin fever that I have in past winters.
Now that I’m staring at these chocolate chip cookie bars I want them more than anything. Upon one bite, I just about fainted. The original recipe I saw on the internet that I planned to bake had walnuts in it.
There is nothing more terrible than a nut in your cookie. Or your brownie. Am I right? Except maybe if it’s a raisin masquerading as a chocolate chip. That’s basically the worst thing in the world. So gross. I can barely even think of a raisin without cringing.
You know those times where you accidentally eat a raisin when shoveling handfuls of salty trail mix into you mouth. Just me? Or those other times you accidentally eat a raisin when you are carefully picking every single chocolate chip out of a bag of trail mix and leaving your husband with the raisins and peanuts.
Occasionally I eagerly bite into a warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie expecting to find a melted chocolate chip ribbon, only to discover… a nasty raisin. Then I cry. Not cool. I’m sorry for my harsh judgement of raisins, I really am. If you like them, more power to you!
Now, Oreos in chocolate chip cookies I approve of (Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies). They are a bit more high maintenance than these bars, but delicious.
Definitely make these chocolate chip cookie bars soon. They are chewy, the edges are crisp and the melty chocolate is perfect.
- 2 cups. + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark is fine)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Line a 9" x 13" baking pan with aluminum foil, letting the excess hang over the edges of the pan on the long sides of the pan.
- Lightly spray the foil with non-stick spray. This will allow you to lift the bars out of the pan after baking, for clean cuts. If you aren't worried about clean cuts, just spray the interior of the pan lightly with non-stick spray and eliminate the foil lining.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, and sugar until combined.
- Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.
- Fold dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chips until just combined.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. This will be very thick. Press evenly into pan using the spatula or your fingertips.
- Bake for 22-23 minutes OR until top is light golden brown. Under-bake for extra chewy bars.
- Remove pan to wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- Lift bars from pan using the foil overhangs. Transfer to cutting board and cut into squares.
Recipe source: adapted from Cookies Illustrated Magazine
Love chocolate chips, and good as the cookies are, I think the bars are better. Terrific recipe — thanks.
I made this last night with my youngest and all of my kids devoured them! We will definitely make these again!
I tried these last night and boy oh boy were they good. Thanks Ashley. 🙂
Wow this looks so delicious! It would be perfect for some of the colder nights up here!
So much to love about these! I can see why they are a favorite!
These look great! Such an easy treat!
My kids really enjoyed these cookies! So good!
mouth is watering just looking at these!
Cookies bars are such a family favorite! Love how chewy and tasty these are!
Ah classic chocolate chip cookies in a bar form. Does it get any more delicious??
My sentiments exactly, regarding raisins. People just don’t understand how gross they are.
these were amazing! I cut the recipe into thirds and made two ramekins. I like these more than cookie form! Excellent recipe!