Watermelon Cupcakes topped with homemade buttercream! These fluffy vanilla cupcakes are bursting with juicy pockets of watermelon and the hot pink frosting is so pretty and delicious. These are the perfect summer cupcake recipe!
Watermelon makes me think of summer! This just may be the most exciting day of the year with watermelon cupcakes! I mean, don’t these cupcakes just look like little cups of summer sunshine? I want to eat summer sunshine. I know you do, as well.
I would seriously love nothing more than to dive face first into this pile of frosting covered in mini chocolate chips. And I would like never to surface. Drowning in a puff of delicious buttercream frosting is how I would like to go. Pretty please keep that in mind, universe.
These cute little watermelon cupcakes are so light and fluffy and absolute perfection. Not exactly “light” as in healthy light, but light as in… light light. Like not heavy. You know. They are very similar to my Strawberry Lime Margarita Cupcakes in how summer-like they are.
Watermelon cupcakes are the kind of dessert you can still throw down with after pigging out on brunch and cocktails with your friends or family. Because I think we can all agree that these little things are quite perfect for the 4th of July and certainly face-smash worthy.
And the 4th of July is a holiday so you can eat as many as you want. Holiday calories don’t count! That is exactly how it works.
For the actual cupcakes, I started off with a cake mix. It makes life easier and I’m all about easy these days. If you’re feeling ambitious and want to make them from scratch, try these vanilla pound cake cupcakes.
For the frosting you can feel free to use anything you would like. As for the frosting? I’m team buttercream all the way! Buttercream is so rich and takes my desserts to the next level of yum.
I don’t particularly like frosting from a can, so I made my own. I used buttercream frosting recipe. Feel free to use whatever you prefer! You can even use this easy Strawberry Buttercream frosting recipe.
I hope you make these watermelon cupcakes for any occasion this summer, whether it be a holiday or a day you are just craving cupcakes. They are just so freaking good. Sweet, fruity, and absolutely adorable.
You can even top each cupcake with a tiny slab of watermelon to make them a triple threat. I totally condone that.
I just want to crawl up on top of the pink buttercream mounds and take a big fat nap. Forever and ever.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 small box (3.4 oz) watermelon flavored jello
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 4 large eggs, brought to room temperature
- Pink food coloring, optional
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips plus more for decoration
- Buttercream frosting of your choice for topping cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and add cupcake liners to cupcake/muffin pan
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix and watermelon jello mix
- Add eggs, milk, and canola/vegetable oil
- Mix until completely smooth
- If using food coloring, add a few drops and mix until desired shade of pink
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips
- Divide batter into cupcake liners
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool completely on a wire rack
- Decorate with frosting of your choice and add mini chocolate chips