Patriotic Pinwheel Cookies
Patriotic Pinwheel Cookies are a classic, slice and bake soft sugar cookie recipe all dressed up for the 4th of July! These patriotic pinwheel cookies have beautiful swirls of red, white and blue.
I can’t believe that 4th of July is coming up in just a couple of weeks! So, this is what we’re doing today. We are going back to 1993 and are doing Patriotic Pinwheel Cookies. People go nuts for them! They are super moist, super easy, and super packed full of flavor. Who doesn’t love 4th of July recipes?
I found these Patriotic Pinwheel Cookies to be a huge success. I love red, white and blue desserts, like my Firecracker Pop Rocks Cookies. Sometimes I feel like I want to cover my entire life in these colors, sparkly crap and colorful glitter. I really held back, to say the least.
These patriotic Pinwheel cookies are a type of old-fashioned icebox cookie that has swirls of at least 2 or 3 different colors. You color the dough into the color of your choice, roll out the dough of each color, then roll the three (or more) colors together.
These definitely don’t have the most healthy and natural ingredients ever, but I did use the dye-free food coloring I found on Amazon. These dyes were only about $2.00 more, so not bad!
If you aren’t planning on baking these all at once, you can refrigerate or even freeze them for later. When you start to crave a cookie, just slice it and bake it up! I love instant gratification.
I like to change it up every so often and it is so easy to do! You can even use red, green, and white for Christmas cookies. There is no need to be fancy here because once it’s all rolled up, it will look festive and fun.
Not only are these Patriotic Pinwheel Cookies unbelievably easy, they are completely irresistible! These are easily one of the best 4th of July desserts, ever! These cookies would be perfect to grab-and-go at a party and you can also prep them ahead of time. Happy Independence Day!
Here are some other 4th of July recipes for you to enjoy:
Red, White, and Blue Mini Cheesecakes – I very much prefer making mini cheesecakes rather than a whole big cheesecake.
Patriotic Sangria – Summer is here and you aren’t going to find a much easier recipe for patriotic sangria than this one.
Red White and Blue Fluff Salad – this Red White and Blue Fluff Salad is a fun summer dessert that is also popular during the holidays.
Patriotic Pinwheel Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Red and blue gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together with a mixer until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until blended.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt together. Beat until dough forms. Split the dough into three different bowls.
- Add red food coloring to one until the desired color of red is reached. Repeat process with the blue food coloring.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll blue dough out on a floured surface to form a 12-inch by 12-inch square. Repeat with white dough and carefully place it on top of the blue.
- Repeat this with the red dough, carefully placing it on top of the white.
- Gently roll the three colors of dough together into a large log. Using your hands, form the log if needed. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 1/2-inch slices of the dough and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper at least 2 inches apart.
- Place on a greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Enjoy!