Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Meatballs
Delicious ground beef Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Meatballs served with pasta and sauce will be a hit with your family and dinner guests when they discover the hidden pocket of melted cheese inside.
I was taught by the best Italian I know – my dad! I got a little adventurous with my meatballs one day a while back and made these Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Meatballs.
I never get bored of pasta with plain sauce and meatballs and I could literally eat it every day of my life, but I do like to keep things interesting once in a while and get creative. One Sunday sauce night I made half of my meatballs as this mozzarella stuffed version and half of them the conventional way.
It was kind of fun to cut into a meatball and not know which meatballs had the mozzarella inside. I’m easily entertained maybe.
I normally get 20 meatballs per 1 pound of ground beef, but for these mozzarella stuffed Italian meatballs I had to make them bigger in order to have enough meat surrounding the cheese as to not allow it to seep out as easily.
You don’t want the cheese right near the edge of the meatball. Therefore, this recipe just makes about 12-15 meatballs.
You can feel free to visit my entire collection of homemade meatballs recipes. Buon Appetito!
If you happen to be a huge homemade meatball fan like I am, check out my other meatball recipes:
- Baked Orange Meatballs. The orange sauce over these meatballs is both sweet and spicy.
- Brown Sugar Glazed Pork Meatballs. These soft pork meatballs can be a meal served over rice or egg noodles
- Grape Jelly BBQ Meatballs. I literally make these for every holiday, potluck, or bridal/baby.
- Thai Peanut Chicken Meatballs. These delicious meatballs are lighter and very healthy.
- Cranberry BBQ Cocktail Meatballs. These meatballs have a sweet cranberry sauce with them and are good all year ’round.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped small
- ¼ cup yellow onion, chopped small
- ¾ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- Sprinkle top with dried parsley and oregano (I don't measure)
- Add dried basil (little more than parsley & oregano)
- Sprinkle a little ground black pepper over top
- Add a splash of water
- 12-15 1-inch fresh Mozzarella balls
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and grease 9×13-inch baking dish or jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray (or use silicone baking mat).
- Place all of the ingredients EXCEPT for the mozzarella balls into a large mixing bowl and with clean hands, mix until just combined. Do not overwork the meat or it will make them tough.
- With wet hands, take ¼ cup beef mixture, form into a ball, and press into center with your thumb to make room for cheese ball. Place cheese ball in the middle then with hands enclose the cheese with the beef, making sure the cheese is completely covered and evenly in the center. Place meatballs on prepared baking dish and bake for 30 to 32 minutes, or until cooked through*. Some mozzarella cheese may have escaped, but that's OK. They will still taste amazing.
- *If adding to a pot of spaghetti sauce, remove from oven at 10-12 minutes and place meatballs into your sauce and allow to cook in sauce until serving time (an hour or so). They will soak up the flavor of the sauce and also flavor the sauce itself. It's very good this way.
- Serve over top your favorite pasta or inside a warm roll for delicious meatball sandwiches.