Italian Wine Cookies
Italian Wine Cookies (Ciambelle al Vino) recipe are a perfect addition to your holiday cookie trays These cookies are light, crunchy, easy to make and made with wine. These are great with coffee!
If you are ever looking for ways to use leftover wine, these Italian Wine Cookies are your new best friend. This recipe for traditional rustic-looking Ciambelline al Vino is the perfect solution to using those leftovers! What is leftover wine, you may ask? Yeah,I’m with you there.
The ingredients for these Italian Wine Cookies are very simple and easy. One thing I love about all of my Italian Cookie Recipes is the simple ingredients. Have you tried my Italian Anisette “S” cookies yet?
These Italian Wine Cookies bake up with an irresistible crumbly texture that are just perfect dipped in a cup of coffee or tea. You won’t believe how easy this recipe is, seriously. I like to serve them with my Italian Ricotta Cookies.
These particular cookies are popular in Italy – biscotti al vino or ciambelle al vino and in Spain where they are called rollitos (rollos) de vino blanco. There is your food lesson for the day.
Have you ever had a cookie made with wine? The wine in these cookies gives them a very unexpected richness to them. They may not be the prettiest cookies in the world as they lack color and frills, they make up for it in taste. They have just the right amount of sweetness, although subtle. Never judge a book by it’s cover, as they say.
It’s always interesting to see what wine does when baked or cooked up in a recipe. I can always taste it, but I find it adds just the right amount of flavor (as long as your toddler isn’t helping and dumps the whole thing into your mixing bowl).
The combination of certain foods will create different flavors once they are baked and I geek out over it sometimes. These Ciambelline al Vino have just the right amount of wine and are perfect.
Beginner bakers will love these cookies as they’re so simple to make. I hope you try them soon! They are tasty and make a great gift (not only for Christmas, but any occasion).
More Italian Cookie Recipes for you to try:
Italian Wine Cookies
- 1/2 cup white wine dry is best
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Sugar for coating
- Preheat your oven to 350° degrees
- In a medium mixing bowl add wine, oil, sugar, salt and baking powder and mix well.
- Gradually add flour, a small amount at a time, until the dough comes together.
- Transfer to a floured work surface and knead lightly approximately 10 times. Dough will be soft, so don’t work it too much or overdue it or dough will get tough.
- Cut off a little dough at a time, roll into a small (plump) rope (about 5 inches (13 centimeters long) and bring ends together to form a circle. Dip in sugar and place on parchment paper (or silicone baking mat) covered cookie sheets.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, or golden in color. Check at 22-25 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe source: slightly adapted from anitalianinmykitchen.com