Grilled Flank Steak Tacos with Avocado and Cilantro Lime Crema
Grilled Flank Steak Tacos with Avocado and Cilantro Lime Crema is easy to prepare during a weeknight or on weekends! This grilled beef recipe with a Mexican twist is wonderful for beginners and experts alike.
This post for grilled flank steak tacos is sponsored by the Certified Angus Beef® brand in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are 100% my own.
I know I say that every steak recipe is my favorite, but THIS one. This grilled flank steak tacos recipe REALLY is a favorite. A huge favorite. A serious favorite!
I told Mr. Wishes this was his best grilled steak we have ever made as it seriously melted in my mouth. We almost didn’t even want to put the steak into tacos and instead just eat it all right off the cutting board. I may have to eat this once a week…maybe twice.
I used only the best for these grilled flank steak tacos: Certified Angus Beef® brand. The flank steak is lean, flavorful, and should be thinly sliced against the grain when you go to carve it. It is great for marinating and best when grilled! It is a fairly inexpensive, flavorful, and versatile cut of beef.
Flank steaks are about a foot long when you buy them, about one inch thick, and cooked whole rather than divided into smaller individual steaks. You slice it up after grilling.
Juicy Steak. Avocado. Cilantro Lime Crema. All the flavors in these grilled flank steak tacos. I don’t hate it! The pizzazz and flavor magic really come from the tender flank steak, but the crema adds so much to it. Bonus: they are gluten free if you have people in your life with dietary restrictions! Winning all around.
If there was a taco that I would always pick, this is it. These are SO good. They are fairly light too, depending on your beef cut you use. Flank steak is the way to go with these tacos, though.
Confession: I have never made a crema before. Why have I waited so long? It is creamy and zingy and I pretty much want to put it on everything now.
These grilled flank tacos are satisfying but don’t feel heavy. One of the best weeknight dinners, if I do say so myself! Not to mention the prettiest tacos that I ever did see. Look at those fresh, vibrant colors.
If ribeyes are more your thing, try my Grilled Ribeye Steak with Onion Blue Cheese Sauce I posted a couple of weeks ago also using Certified Angus Beef. When and if you don’t have a grill, feel free to cook either one of these recipes in a large cast iron frying pan or skillet.
- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef® brand flank steak
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Tortillas (corn or flour)
- Toppings of choice
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- Juice and zest of a lime
- Sea salt, to taste
- Mix together the taco seasoning, lime juice, vegetable oil, salt & pepper.
- Stir until incorporated and the seasoning has dissolved.
- Place the meat into a large zipper-locking bag and pour the marinade on top.
- Shake, making sure the marinade covers all sides of the meat.
- Marinate for 2-6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to a medium-high heat.
- Remove the steak from the plastic bag and discard the marinade
- Grill the steaks for 3-5 minutes on each side or to your desired level of doneness (medium-rare is best for flank steak).
- Let rest, tent/cover loosely with foil for 5 minutes before slicing thinly, against the grain.
- Warm the tortillas by spraying with cooking oil and heating in a large skillet, flipping as needed, until starting to brown and crisp slightly on both sides.
- To assemble tacos, fill tortillas with grilled steak, avocado, and toppings of choice.
- Top with cilantro lime crema (recipe below).
- Garnish with cilantro (optional). Enjoy!