Santa Monica Street Tacos
This is a great recipe for authentic Mexican Santa Monica Street Tacos. These are made with steak and are served on soft corn tortillas. Perfect for any Cinco de Mayo Celebrations!
I get really excited about good food. I just can’t help myself. I was super excited about making/eating/sharing these Santa Monica Street Tacos because, as far as I’m concerned, tacos should be one of the major food groups. Honestly, is there a more perfect food? I don’t think so.
I could eat tacos every day and be totally happy. I look forward to the summer weather to officially hit us and be here to stay when I can eat my dinners outside on my patio with an ice-cold lemonade and chow down on taco after taco.
I made these Santa Monica Street Tacos about 2.5 seconds after finding them on a blog called Creme de la Crumb. Not really in 2.5 seconds, but you know what I’m saying. Normally I go crazy with changing up recipes to my liking and thinking of ways to tweak ingredients to make the overall taste better (according to me) in the end, but this one I didn’t do much to at all – it was practically perfect!
I cut down a bit on the sweetness of the Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette and was glad I did so because it was sweet enough – and so good! The vinaigrette complimented all of the flavors of the taco ingredients very well.
Hint: Corn tortillas for these are a MUST in order for these to be authentic (and taste a million times better)! You should also try my Grilled Flank Steak Tacos with Avocado and Cilantro Lime Crema.
I feel you need to taste these tacos. For your own good, that is. Happy Cinco de Mayo!
- 6 six-inch white corn tortillas
- 1 pound skirt or flank steak, trimmed of fat and sliced into thin strips
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- juice of 2 limes
- ⅓ cup oil
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Season sliced steak with salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add steak to pan and sauté until cooked through (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add garlic in with the steak and sauté 1-2 minutes longer until garlic is fragrant but watch so it doesn't burn. Remove from heat and dice steak or leave it in strips.
- Whisk together all ingredients for vinaigrette.
- Add mixture to a blender and pulse for about 1 minute or until smooth. Add ¼-1/3 cup steak to each tortilla (microwave the tortillas for 30-45 seconds wrapped in a damp paper towel, or according to package instructions,so they will be easier handle, more flexible and softer).
- Top steak with cabbage, onions, and chopped cilantro. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Serve immediately so the corn tortillas don't get too soggy. Have a side of guacamole and chips on the side. Enjoy!
Recipe source: slightly adapted from lecremedelacrumb.com