Greek Chicken Soft Tacos
Easy Greek Chicken Soft Tacos are made in only a half hour and combine the flavors of Mexican tacos and Greek cuisine into one tasty, healthy, recipe!
The best memories of my dad growing up were when he made our family his special Sunday sauce and meatballs. Nobody made it quite like him and he passed the tradition on to me. Years before he passed away I asked him to teach me his recipe because I had tried it before just by memory and it tasted nothing like this (isn’t that how it always goes?). I went over his house to watch him make the sauce and he was just throwing things in left and right. I kept asking him to slow down so I could try to write down ingredient amounts, etc. He never measured ANYTHING which is to be expected with a true Italian, right? One thing I remember him telling me is that he always used Tuttorosso tomatoes (although he totally butchered the pronunciation). One time he just said “the stuff with the green label”!
This is why I’m so excited about being asked to partner with Tuttorosso recently because it’s a brand I have been using for quite some time now and I know it’s one my dad really liked! They are made by Red Gold Tomatoes, a company of Indiana. I always use their products in Italian dishes but I wanted to switch it up this time. I decided on going with a healthy Greek recipe! My husband and I are going away on vacation very soon and are trying to eat lighter and more white meat. These tacos could not be much better for you! I even used whole wheat, low carb tortillas. Whenever we are going on vacation we try hard to cut out fatty cheese, cream, and butter – this recipe doesn’t have any of those things! Plus, February is Heart Health Month so there is another reason to eat healthy this month.
The ground chicken works really well in place of beef as the Tuttorosso red sauce and chicken stock give it great flavor. The toppings, including my homemade Tzatziki sauce, for these Greek Chicken Soft Tacos make this dinner anything but boring! Tuttorosso tomatoes are grown on family-owned and family-run farms and also packed here in the U.S.. I discovered that there is a significant difference in taste, freshness and quality between Tuttorosso and different brands of canned tomatoes/sauce (even the color is more vibrant). I know you all probably feel the same way I do about using quality ingredients to give your recipes the best possible taste.
I hope you try them soon. Enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 lb ground chicken
- Salt, to taste
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- ⅔ cup tomato sauce (I used Tuttorosso)
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp each dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Flour tortillas (I used whole wheat, Tzatziki sauce - homemade or store-bought, chopped romaine lettuce, crumbled feta cheese, diced Tuttorosso tomatoes, peeled and diced cucumbers, chopped red onion, fresh cilantro)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in red onion and saute for about 3 minutes then add chicken, season with salt to taste and proceed with cooking. Break up the chicken and stir occasionally until almost cooked through.
- Add the minced garlic and continue to cook until ground chicken is fully cooked.
- Stir in tomato sauce, chicken stock, oregano, and thyme. Season with a little bit more salt to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally until sauce has reduced (this will take about bout 6 - 8 minutes).
- Stir in fresh lemon juice. Serve warm over tortillas and top with the toppings listed above.
Disclaimer: Thank you Tuttorosso for sponsoring this conversation. All opinions remain 100% my own, as always.
Recipe source: adapted from cookingclassy.com