Fruity Pebbles Buttercream Frosting
Fruity Pebbles Buttercream Frosting recipe is the perfect compliment to a vanilla cake or cupcakes for that special touch to make your desserts extra fun and colorful!
I feel like a kid again posting about Fruity Pebbles desserts. Just looking at my photos of this frosting is making me want to whip up a batch right now just so I could eat the whole darn thing with a spoon. I made this frosting a while back to go on these cupcakes and they were seriously one of my favorite cupcakes I’ve ever made. I love eating the colors of the rainbow in my dessert, especially when they involve a walk down memory lane by involving my favorite childhood cereal.
I hope this frosting recipe brings a little cheerfulness and color to your Tuesday. This is perfect to frost up some cupcakes for a kids’ birthday party or, come March, St. Patrick’s Day, or to frost some sugar cookies…but it really fits the bill for any occasion at all. Heck, make one up if you have to. You must try this! It’s a cute idea for big kids and little kids alike.
FYI: this Fruity Pebbles Buttercream Frosting recipe makes enough to generously frost 12 cupcakes.
- 1 cup finely crushed/powdered Fruity Pebbles (measured after crushing)
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In the bowl of an stand mixer or using a handheld mixer, cream your butter and shortening together until smooth.
- On low speed slowly add in your powdered sugar, when incorporated, add your heavy cream and vanilla and turn speed up to medium and beat until smooth and fluffy. This takes a couple of minutes.
- Turn back to low speed and add in your crushed Fruity Pebbles cereal and mix until incorporated.
- Use a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop and scoop onto completely cooled cupcakes or whatever dessert you are using this for. You can also pipe on the frosting if using on cupcakes, but this could be hard to do because of the cereal pieces in the frosting (they will get stuck). Top with some extra whole Fruity Pebbles pieces, if desired.
- *If not using frosting immediately store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 hours or refrigerate for up to a week. Bring to room temperature before using.