Candy Cane Puppy Chow
An easy recipe for peppermint crunch puppy chow, also called Muddy Buddies. Using candy cane Hershey’s kisses and rice Chex cereal.
Who doesn’t love a good puppy chow? (AKA “Muddy Buddies” or “trash”, whatever you might call it). NO, this is not food you feed to your pet (because I know someone will ask….they always do) 🙂 I made a pumpkin spice version of this back in October for Halloween with pumpkin spice Hershey’s kisses. When I saw these fun candy cane striped Kisses, I knew I had to make a Christmas version of puppy chow.
This is such a simple and fun recipe and would be a great addition to any family or friends gathering for the holidays. My husband doesn’t even care for peppermint and he still thought this was great! I also am famous for saying that all peppermint desserts make me feel like I’m eating toothpaste. I make an exception for this puppy chow because it is too good to turn down!
- 6 cups rice Chex cereal
- 1 Tbsp shortening
- 1 bag (10 ounces) Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses
- 1 and ½ cups powdered sugar
- In a gallon size freezer bag, pour in the powdered sugar. Set aside. Pour the rice chex into a large bowl.
- In a double boiler (can also use microwave), melt the Hershey's kisses until smooth and creamy. If the mixture seems too thick, you can add the shortening to thin it out a little (I did this).
- Pour the melted kisses over the chex cereal in the bowl and stir until evenly coated.
- Stir carefully as not to break the chex Add the cereal to the bag with the powdered sugar and shake until all of the rice chex are evenly coated.
- Put some candy canes around the bowl when serving, for decoration.