Walnut Snowball Cookies
This is my great-grandmother’s recipe and was my all-time favorite Christmas cookie when I was growing up. It is an absolute staple in my world at this time of year. I grew up baking these every year with my mom and now that I’m a big girl I have kept the tradition going! We always made these cookies with walnuts, but pecans are also customary. Use whatever nut you prefer! You have got to love a good tradition.
- 1 cup shortening
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 2¼ cup sifted flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts (OR pecans, hazelnuts, etc.)
- Cream shortening and confectioners sugar.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and bake on lightly greased cookie sheet (or use non-stick baking mat or parchment paper)
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.
- Roll immediately in confectioners sugar. Cool cookies on wire rack. Roll again in confectioners sugar, if desired.