Walnut Snowball Cookies
Easy Walnut Snowball Cookies, or “Mexican Wedding Cookies”, are a delicious nutty holiday dessert recipe for a crowd! These are the perfect Christmas cookie exchange idea!
Can you say “addictive”!? Get into the holiday spirit and bake some Walnut Snowball Cookies with me! This tradition goes way back and I’m so excited to share it with you today.
This is my great-grandmother’s recipe and was my all-time favorite Christmas cookie when I was growing up. It is an absolute staple in my world at this time of year.
I grew up baking these, along with my famous Cut-Out Sugar Cookies, every year with my mom. Now that I’m a big girl I have kept the tradition going! We always made these cookies with walnuts, but pecans are also customary. Use whatever nut you prefer! You have got to love a good tradition.
- 1 cup shortening
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 2¼ cup sifted flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts (OR pecans, hazelnuts, etc.)
- Cream shortening and confectioners sugar.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and bake on lightly greased cookie sheet (or use non-stick baking mat or parchment paper)
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.
- Roll immediately in confectioners sugar. Cool cookies on wire rack. Roll again in confectioners sugar, if desired.