Summer Chickpea Black Bean Salad
Summer Chickpea Black Bean Salad recipe that is low in fat and high in protein and makes an amazing side dish for your summer picnics or BBQ! You could also serve this alone or pair it with a toasted baguette or bread to make a great appetizer or snack.
Ahhh the week before Memorial Day where everyone is either checked out already or scrambling to try to come up with a menu for your weekend parties or get-togethers. I’m not a huge BBQ or burger person (I know…) so I am all about the side dishes when it comes to cook-outs. I might throw a hot dog or cheeseburger on my plate so that it looks more “even” but most of the room will be taken up with the sides. This recipe for Summer Chickpea Black Bean Salad is one of my new favorites because it doesn’t involve a whole lot of work, tastes amazing, and has all the pretty colors going for it. Bonus.
This Summer Chickpea Black Bean Salad recipe is extremely versatile, as it makes a great side dish or a quick and healthy snack during the day. It also makes a wonderful salad topper that pairs perfect with a grilled chicken breast or fish! It is gluten-free and clean-eating friendly. If you are big on carbs, you will love my Classic Italian Pasta Salad or Creamy Potato Salad.
Also, this Summer Chickpea Black Bean Salad is very adaptable – add yellow or green peppers in place of the red, cucumber in place of the celery, halved cherry tomatoes, some grilled corn, avocado – oh, the possibilities! It is very accommodating to what you may have on hand or ingredients that need using up. This recipe is the best when refrigerated overnight so the wonderful flavors have time to meld. I could eat this all day! I think you should definitely give it a try for these future summer days.
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped (I had some yellow peppers on hand and added a handful chopped up)
- 2 ribs celery and leafy tops, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced or grated
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped (use parsley if you don't like cilantro)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine chick peas and black beans with onions, peppers, celery, garlic, red pepper flakes and cilantro in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Dress salad with vinegar and oil mixture, salt and pepper. Taste and add more salt/pepper if needed.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. It tastes better after doing this!