Festive Cherry Pound Cake
Alright my little bakers, one last Christmas recipe for you because this one is totally worth the last-minute blogging. Christmas is coming up faster than a speeding freight train and I know you really want to make just ONE more thing…. well, this recipe is for you because it is quick and easy. This is a recipe for Festive Cherry Pound Cake that lends itself to being colorful and delicious for the holidays. It’s so darn festive and pretty, as you can see! This cake looked so good that I literally had to get it out of the house and hide it from Mr. Wishes until Christmas. It is wonderfully rich and buttery with a lovely golden brown crust…and did I mention it’s super pretty?
- 1 (6-ounce) jar red maraschino cherries
- 1 (6-ounce) jar green maraschino cherries
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Drain cherries well, and finely chop. Press gently between paper towels to absorb excess moisture; set aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until the yellow yolk disappears.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda; stir in chopped cherries. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat batter at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until a long wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
Pingback: Karen Ehman — My Favorite Christmas Recipes
Pingback: Christmas Dessert Ideas 2013 | Wishes and Dishes
I often cruise Pinterest looking for interesting yummy ideas that will make me feel like an awesome cook in the kitchen. I came across this recipe while I was looking for Christmas cakes and loaves. (It’s less than a week till Christmas). I found this loaf so very appealing, I just had to make it…immediately. lol It’s a beautiful recipe, easy to follow and the cherry loaf turned out amazing. Maybe I really AM an awesome cook. Thanks for this…I’ll be making it again and again. 🙂