Because I don’t leave my crock pot out on the counter since it takes up way too much space, I tend to forget about it sometimes. It really is a life saver in the summer because I don’t have to heat up my house by turning the oven on, and that fact sure is appealing especially when the temperature outside is hanging out in the 80’s! Normally, people go slow cooker crazy during the fall and winter (a plethora of soups, stews, etc.) but they really are just as useful in the summer…whether it’s for picnics, keeping your side dish warm, potlucks, whatever! Get a slow cooker here for pretty cheap if you don’t already have one – I love mine!
This is a great cheap and easy fix for your mac ‘n cheese craving when you don’t want to deal with all of those expensive cheeses other recipes call for. It was creamy and tasted just like the old fashioned comfort food you look for with a meal like this! It would be perfect for a large family get together or cookout and I love that it can be a side dish OR used as the main course (add some meat if you want to make it more of a “meal”. We ate it as is).
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (an 8-ounce box isn't quite 2 cups)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, cut into pieces
- 2½ cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 (10¾-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk or half and half
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
- In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well.
- Add drained macaroni and stir again.
- Set the slow cooker on LOW setting and cook for 2.5 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Recipe source: adapted from thefoodnetwork.com- Craving more? Sign up for the Wishes & Dishes Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook , Twitter , Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates!