Triple Layer Key Lime Cake
Triple Layer Key Lime Cake recipe takes only 10 minutes to put together, is the perfect balance of sweet and tart, and the perfect green for St. Patrick’s Day!
It’s almost spring! Citrus flavors always make me think of this time of the year and how much I love it. This winter FLEW by and I could not be happier about it. Do you need a festive, pretty looking cake for St. Patrick’s day or Easter? Look no further, people. This is the prettiest cake I have ever made and it starts off using a cake mix and then fancies it up quite a bit. The frosting, however, is completely made from scratch. I loved how the sweet and tart to play off of one another in this Triple Layer Key Lime Cake!
Though I prefer “from scratch” cakes most of the time, everyone loved this recipe. It came out moist, light, and with a good lime flavor. Of course, everyone’s favorite part about this cake was the bright green color which contrasted beautifully with the homemade white frosting. My layers baked in 20 minutes so keep a good eye on them in your oven as they all seem to bake differently.
I hope you find an occasion where you will have an excuse to make this cake because it will steal the show. You can’t beat that color! Or maybe I am just partial to green food (and by “maybe” I mean I am totally obsessed). If you want to see my other St. Patrick’s Day recipes, they are all right here. Enjoy!
- Combine cake mix, Jello mix, oil, eggs and orange juice and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour into three 8 inch cake pans. Bake according to instructions on box. Allow to cool completely, then frost.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add lime juice and powdered sugar. Mix well until no lumps remain.
- I suggest refrigerating the icing 20-30 minutes prior to icing the cake so that it firms up a bit, if time allows. Use an offset icing spatula to make it easy to frost.
Recipe source: adapted from allrecipes.com