Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Cherry Glaze
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with a sweet Cherry Glaze are the perfect addition to your summer cookout or BBQ. They are easy to make and the glaze will be your new favorite!
Did everyone have a great Father’s day weekend? It was a beautiful weekend here in Rochester. I just love summer so much and the food that goes along with it, like these grilled sweet potatoes. It’s such a short season that I try to savor every minute that I can by doing something outside, even if I’m just sitting in a chair doing nothing. We have a female bluebird that has her nest in the mailbox next to ours and sometimes I sit out there on my front porch and stalk her with my zoom lens camera trying to snap a good photo. Here’s the best I got:
I think I should come up with a name for her because I’m getting attached! Any suggestions? Ha.
OK, you didn’t come here to hear about my bird obsession and the fact that I’m 102 years old and bird watch in my free time (or “free” time that I should be working). Mr. Wishes and his brilliant mind came up with this glaze for the grilled sweet potatoes based on what we had in our kitchen. He is literally obsessed with cherries and I’m not allowed to touch his Red Jacket Orchards tart cherry juice whenever he has it in the ‘fridge. I told him he was very sweet and generous to let me use it in the glaze for these grilled sweet potatoes – even if it was only a couple of tablespoons of it he had to part with.
Have you ever grilled sweet potatoes? I have seen them grilled before but they were wrapped in foil with holes poked throughout and cooked that way. I was kind of in a hurry to get dinner done so “ain’t nobody got time for that” and I decided to slice them so that they would heat through faster. Super quick and easy! It also gave each bite that delicious grilled flavor and the taste of the glaze really came through.
The glaze is out of this world! You will want to dip everything in it. The end.
You will also love my sweet potato gnocchi with a sage cream sauce. This is a favorite in my family all year ’round. Also, check out these melting sweet potatoes from my friend Rebecca. I love her creativity!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced thin, unpeeled (use more to feed a large family, just double the glaze)
- 2 tablespoons Tart cherry juice (such as Red Jacket brand)
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons butter, melted
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- olive oil
- sea salt
- Heat up grill for hot, direct heat.
- Coat the sweet potato slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Combine all of the glaze ingredients into a small bowl (adding the ginger, brown sugar, and cherry juice to the already melted butter).
- Once the grill is hot, lay the sweet potato pieces down onto the grill grates. Cover the grill and cook until each side gets some grill marks, between 3-6 minutes for each side, depending on how hot your grill is. Brush them with the glaze on both sides.
- Serve warm.