Crock Pot Beef Stew
This Crock Pot Beef Stew recipe is chunks of tender beef cooked with shallots in a rich aromatic sauce for the ultimate comfort food!
This, my friends, is exactly how you spell comfort food. Yeah. Up there. That. Crock pot Beef Stew.
This classic, simple warm-you-up crock pot beef stew becomes even more comforting when made with the traditional stew beef. I love cooking it IN the crock pot because that’s the way to get really tender beef.
One of the worst flaws I have is that if I’m not crazy nutso passionate about something? I just don’t do it. I mean, okay, I might DO it, but I put almost zero effort into it. I WILL put effort into beef stew because I love soups and stews more than any other meal. Eating food this delicious and literally soul-warming just makes me happier than anything.
Crock Pot Beef stew outshines almost every pot roast or pulled beef recipe or really ANY beef recipe I can think of. It’s the one form of beef I want all the time. For everything. The beef in this stew is tender and fall-apart good. Cozy food is my favorite. We are not sacrificing any flavor here, folks.
It’s not even that cold here this week but I will eat this ANY DAY of the year. We have two days hitting almost 70 this week and I could not be more excited! And hey, I have some vegetables in here, so it gets me to eat my veggies. Like… tomatoes….potatoes….carrots. It’s basically health food. You can even add sweet potatoes if you feel like it.
Ready, set, go: who is the first person you would share this crock pot beef stew with?
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- fresh thyme, for garnishing (optional)
- Throw in the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery into a 5 or 6 qt. crockpot/slow cooker.
- Pour the flour in a large shallow dish. Add stew meat; toss and coat evenly.
- In a large skillet, brown meat in tablespoon or two of oil. Place over vegetables in the crock pot once done.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, broth, ground mustard, salt, pepper, and dried thyme.
- Pour this mixture over beef in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or until the meat and vegetables are tender and meat is "fall-apart" tender.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme before serving (optional)