This simple stuffed strawberries recipe is perfect for dressing up any occasion, such as a shower, picnic, or party. The lemon mousse turns plain strawberries into a decadent dessert.
I’m all about unconventional so I’m always thinking about how to put a twist on the classic stuffed strawberry and this is what I came up with. I made a lemon mousse to stuff cookie cups with a few months ago and started brainstorming new ways to use lemon mousse because I thought it was so tasty, not to mention a pretty color, as well. Now is the time to make those strawberry recipes while they are relatively cheap during the summer. Farmers’ markets, anyone?
Note: Since strawberries aren’t exactly flat, to make them stand up you just slice a bit off the narrow tip to create a stable base. I didn’t think of this until it was too late. DUH!
Aren’t these just gorgeous? They would be a nice addition to your summer cook outs. Just keep them cool until the last minute so they don’t get all melty on you. Say it with me now …. yummmmmmmmmm!
- 1.5-2 lbs. of strawberries, cored from the bottom leaving the stems (I used a paring knife to hollow them out)
- 1 cup COLD heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ package Jello Instant Lemon Pudding Mix
- ½ tablespoon of lemon zest
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup very cold water
- Yellow food dye (optional, but makes mousse a pretty yellow)
- In a large bowl, beat the cream and vanilla on high with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Place in fridge.
- In another large bowl, whisk together pudding mix, sweetened condensed milk, water, and lemon zest until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Place in fridge for 5 minutes to set up completely. It should be thick.
- Fold whipped cream into pudding just until evenly distributed.
- Stir in yellow food dye (I used quite a bit to get the rich yellow color I wanted).
- Cover and place in fridge until you're ready to fill strawberries.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a star tip with lemon mousse or a plastic sandwich bag with the corner snipped off. Pipe mousse into each cored strawberry. Fill strawberries just before serving.
- Craving more? Sign up for the Wishes & Dishes Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook , Twitter , Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates!