Irish Braised Corned Beef Brisket recipe is great for St. Patrick’s day or any special occasion dinner. The meat is tasty & cooked slowly in the oven for maximum flavor!
Can you believe that Saint Patty’s day is this week? They had the annual holiday parade here in Rochester this past weekend. I have to say, I am a total winter wimp and I only went one year when the temperature freakishly happened to be like 70 degrees. That is unheard of for mid-March! I will attend the parade again should we ever hit those kind of temps again for the parade. Unlikely, though.
I’m so glad you’re here! Follow along on Pinterest for more inspiration!
So I made my first brisket and first corned beef last week! I was so proud of myself for venturing out of my dinner comfort zone. Mr. Wishes fought me on it, as he’s a self-proclaimed corned beef hater, but he sucked it up and ate it! It’s a traditional Irish dish and is absolutely mandatory for St. Patrick’s Day so it just HAD to happen. Serve it with carrots, potatoes, and cabbage and it makes for one hearty meal! If you’re totally into Irish food you’ll also love these Shepherd’s Pie Meatballs or Guinness Beef Stew.
I used Certified Angus Beef® in this Irish Braised Corned Beef Brisket! You’ve seen the symbol right? Perhaps at your local Grocery store in the butcher section or at the meat counter? CAB definitely defines the standard by which all beef is measured and you always know what you’re getting with their brand – high quality beef with superior taste. They strive for nothing but the best as far as tenderness, flavor and juiciness in their beef. I really can taste the difference as far as tenderness and flavor. I actually did a blind taste test with New York Beef back in the fall and was able to recognize the Certified Angus Beef steak right away!
Serve this Irish Braised Corned Beef Brisket with some Guinness Beer Bread and you’re good to go. Enjoy!
You can follow Certified Angus Beef® on their social media or join the Facebook group Certified Angus Beef ® Kitchen:
- 1 (3½ to 4-pound) Certified Angus Beef ® corned beef brisket flat
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks or use baby carrots
- 2 onions, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 6 peeled garlic cloves, cut in half lengthwise
- ½ head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Red potatoes (optional)
- Rinse and pat the brisket dry with paper towel; cut into two equal pieces.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine coriander, caraway, black pepper, thyme and clove; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear brisket until browned, fat side down first, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer brisket to a large roasting pan or Dutch oven.
- Evenly coat all sides of brisket with spice blend.
- Spread carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, and cabbage and bay leaves evenly around and on top, add stock and cover tightly with foil or lid.
- Place in oven and braise 2 hours until tender.
- Slice thinly against the grain and serve with vegetables of choice and broth, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Recipe source: certifiedangusbeef.com. Be sure to visit their site for more amazing beef recipes you’re sure to love!- Craving more? Sign up for the Wishes & Dishes Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook , Twitter , Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates!