An easy recipe for homemade Tzatziki sauce, otherwise known as Greek cucumber yogurt dip.
I have a special love for Greek flavors and Greek foods in general. One of my very favorite dinners I made this summer were these Grilled Greek Chicken Pitas and I love to experiment with different cool and creamy Tzatziki sauces to top them off with. This one is SUPER easy to make and great for when you’re in a hurry. In case you don’t already know, Tzatziki sauce is a tangy cucumber dip flavored with garlic (and sometimes lemon juice) and compliments grilled meat or grilled vegetables perfectly. I have to admit that the first time I made a version of this sauce I was nervous as it seemed like an unlikely combination with the dairy and lemon juice put together, but it really is great.
This Tzatziki sauce can be used as a dressing/sauce on a pita or sandwich, as I normally use it, or it can stand alone as a dip for veggies or pitas. If you make it as a dip I’d recommend some warm whole wheat pita bread triangles to serve it with. Oh, and it’s guilt-free, of course. Enjoy!
- 1 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- Mix yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon juice, dill, and salt together in a bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour to let the flavors develop.
- Stir again before serving.
- Craving more? Sign up for the Wishes & Dishes Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook , Twitter , Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates!