Here’s everything delicious about tangy BBQ chicken in a creamy, cheesy, hot, bubbly dip with caramelized onions to make for the perfect appetizer for a party or game day.
I wanted to just name this “the best dip in the world”…I really did. I have a slight chicken wing dip obsession and this BBQ chicken dip definitely added to it.
I made this dip a few weeks ago and would just like to say that A) it was a hit at the church get-together I brought it to and B) it was one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. Needless to say, I went home with a clean dish that night! Everyone loved it, but I’d have to say that I loved it the most! I could seriously eat this stuff until I’m sick (and maybe I even did). If you want to make this even faster, you don’t have to butter roast the chicken – just poach it and shred it to save time and it will still be awesome.
This was a wonderful alternative to buffalo chicken dip if you want to switch it up once in awhile and it’s different because it uses BBQ sauce instead of buffalo sauce. It would be the perfect, filling snack for any game day….whether your sport of choice may currently be football, hockey, or baseball (the Red Sox seriously need to stop winning games! Sorry Boston fans! #sorrynotsorry). Serve this dip with fritos scoops, Club or Ritz crackers, or tortilla chips. Enjoy!
- 3 bone-in chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 (8-ounce) blocks cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ⅔ cups ranch dressing
- ⅔ cups your favorite BBQ sauce
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- crackers or chips for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rub chicken breasts with softened butter then season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes. Let cool completely then pull chicken off the bone into bite-size pieces. While the chicken is roasting, heat a skillet oven medium-low heat. Add olive oil and onions, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in brown sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramely. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, ranch dressing, ⅓ cup of the BBQ sauce, onions and half of the cheddar cheese.
- Fold in chicken.
- In a casserole or baking dish (mine was 8-inch round, 4-inch deep), layer the cream cheese mixture, smoothing the top off.
- Cover it with the remaining BBQ sauce, then the remaining cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly and hot.
- Serve with crackers or chips.
Recipe source: a reader named Jessica sent this in on howsweeteats.com- Craving more? Sign up for the Wishes & Dishes Newsletter for a fresh serving of content delivered every week to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook , Twitter , Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates!